Recipe - Vegan Sourdough Pancakes
tags: recipe pancakes
When you make sourdough starter, you have to “feed” it periodically, which involves throwing a fair portion of the starter out. Don’t throw it away - use it to make pancakes! Or muffins. I’ll post some muffins later.
I used this method to create my starter, and it worked quite well!
- 3 eggs worth of egg replacer, or 1/4 cup applesauce.
- 1 cup soy milk (you might need more)
- 2 cups sourdough starter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup earth balance, melted
- Mix up that egg replacer if you’re using it.
- Add milk and sourdough starter.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar; add to the egg-like mixture, mixing pretty well, but don’t overmix. You want the batter to be fluid, but not liquid.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Lightly grease a hot griddle (or use a non-stick pan with no grease). don’t make that griddle so hot that you burn your pancakes!
- Pour the batter onto the griddle and cook until light brown, turning once after maybe 2-3 minutes. My mom always used to say “Wait until you see bubbles in the middle of the pancake”, but I’m not sure that method is reliable. Your mileage may vary.